Thursday, July 21, 2011

MY DESIRE TO WRITE

My desire to write began in the 8th grade when my friend and I were talking and he said he wanted to be a writer. Something inside of me clicked, but I didn’t say anything. I didn’t have much confidence and had never been encouraged to write.

When I was 27 and living in Los Angeles, I met a international best selling author Ib Mechior and took him aboard a supertanker for a book he was writing. I told him that I was writing a novel and he encouraged me to show him the manuscript.

So I brought my only copy to his house, but he wouldn’t look at it until I had copied it. He didn’t want his integrity questioned. During World War II, he was knighted by the King and Queen of Denmark and was a most honorable man.

He reviewed my manuscript and I kept writing. Unfortunately I didn’t join a writer’s critique group, which I believe is very important for young writers. I joined the staff of a Christian Newspaper called Praise the Lord and was named the managing editor. I edited all the articles for the monthly paper.

I became more involved with writing and was given a radio show in LA. I began writing, producing and directing radio programs. The show was for children and it was called Enoch the Elephant. For a year in my garage, I would get up at 4 AM and write my scripts and then produce and direct them with a cast of friends.

I wrote, produced, and directed 40 scripts and then wrote a stage play and produced and directed that as well. From there I directed and produced over 100 stage plays, musicals, and skits for various events and functions in Los Angeles and San Diego.

During this time, I directed two television pilots. One was for children and we produced a cartoon. From the cells of the cartoon, a book was published called Enoch the Elephant.

While I was on a short term mission trip to Romania, I was asked to print my first book overseas, Enoch the Elephant. However I’d already completed a science fiction novel and had it printed in Romania.

Since then I’ve written and published 3 more books. “Seeds of Greatness,” “Waterfront Rats,” and “Self-Publishing and Marketing from the Trenches.”
I have completed the sequel to “Spirit Warrior” called “Colors of the Night.” It is under review at a publishers.
Currently I’m working on an international terrorist novel, called, “Operation Blackbeard.”
Five years ago my wife and I formed, David Bauer Publishing Company and have published two titles under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment